Tips for losing weight? Here you go.

Tips for losing weight? Here you go.

So I keep getting asked for tips on how to lose weight.  So far, I've not had any takers on the advice.  So I've started thinking what has helped me. So here's a new list.

1.) Eat Breakfast. You can Google it: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Most heavy people I know, including myself until 6 months ago, don't eat breakfast.  Terrible habit that you should overcome. Get up in time to eat a decent breakfast.

2.) Get a good night's sleep. If you're trying to get by on 5 hours of sleep a night (like I used to,) then you can forget trying to lose weight.  Being tired makes us eat. Which leads me to:

3.) Find a way to get off caffeine. I never used to believe this, but I believe it now.  I believe caffeine is an unhealthy stimulant that causes overeating in some people (including me.) This isn't scientific evidence, just my own observations. Either quit cold turkey or slowly withdrawal. Find a way to get off of it. Your body will thank you.

4.) Eat early and often. I eat 6 meals a day. Spread it out.  Figure out what works for you. I'm finding success with many small meals throughout the day. It's all about managing that hunger.


5.) Try not to obsess over the scale. I weigh at the doctor.  If you take in less calories than you burn, you will lose weight.  Achieving a healthy weight is something you do over time.  I've found that at least for me, weighing constantly is going to only increase the disappointment.

6.) Don't be afraid to fail! You will have to figure out what works for you.  You will struggle.  Some days will be better than others.  If you eat one way and you're starving all the time. try something else.

As always, before starting any weight loss program, consult your doctor and a dietitian/nutritionist. Listen to the experts. I did.