Why not have weight loss surgery?

Why not have weight loss surgery?

I often get the question asking me why I didn't or don't have weight loss surgery.  It's a simple question with a complex answer.

First of all, there is nothing wrong with having gastric bypass surgery.  For many people, that is their last option. And many people do have tremendous success and results with the surgery.

Why didn't I have the surgery?  I could have.  I've worked 3 places in the last 10 years that would've paid for the surgery.  The reason I never did it was because I always knew that I could do it myself if I just put out the effort.

I also knew that if I wasn't committed to losing weight the regular way, I wouldn't be committed to it with the gastric bypass.

After I wound up in the hospital with the pulmonary embolism last summer, I got very tired of being in the hospital. That was one long week.  So, I decided before I went with the gastric bypass, I would try one last time.

That was 6 months ago.

But I take nothing away from people that have the gastric bypass surgery.  There are risks, complications and it is a lot of long, hard work to lose weight.  They are doing what's right for them. If the result is a longer, healthier, happier life, then how you got there doesn't matter.


Being overweight is being on the wrong end of a math problem.  More energy is being consumed than is being expended. Whatever you have to do to restore that balance is key.